- the spiritual leader of a Hasidic sect
- "Satmar now has two rebbes."
Languages of Origin
- רבי rebe
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
- Also refers in Yiddish to the teacher of a heder.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.