n. The five books of Moses; a scroll with this text on it.
n. Teaching (this is the literal meaning in Hebrew and sometimes used in Jewish English).
n. Jewish law and values in general.
n. General Jewish learning/knowledge.
"I taught this week's Torah portion to my religious school class."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Toira, Tora, Toyrah, Toirah, Toyra, Toreh, Toireh, Toyreh, Tore, Toire, Toyre
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.