- literally 'stinking' (Rosten); contemptible
- "It doesn't work because it's a farshtunkene machine, that's why!"
Languages of Origin
- פֿאַרשטונקען farshtunken 'stinking, rotting', past participle of פֿאַרשטינקען farshtinken 'to stink'
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.