- "Literally, 'peace in the home'. Contentment and harmony among family members." (JPS)
- "For the sake of shalom bayit I will go to the movie I do not want to see without arguing about it."
Languages of Origin
- שלום בית
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Usually used when discussing the relationship between spouses
Who Uses This
shelom bayit, sholom bayis, shalom bayis
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.