- traditional toast. [lit. "to life" (Rosten)]
- At a celebration such as a wedding where many toasts are given, it is customary to exclaim "L'chaim" before drinking.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Modern Hebrew
- Heb לחיים lekhaím, Yiddish לחײם lekháim
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.