- prayer recited in most services as well as at bedtime, and when death is imminent; one of the most important and well-known prayers in Judaism
- The Shema can be found on page 94 of your machzors.
Languages of Origin
- שמע ישראל 'Hear O Israel'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Australia / New Zealand
- South Africa
- Great Britain
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- See also k'riat sh'ma קריאת שמע (Ashkenazi Hebrew/Yiddish: krishme) 'reading/recitation of the Shema'
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.