n. A joyous holiday that takes place in February or March on the 14th of Adar, retelling the story of the Book of Esther.
"Which do they start with--the Purim shpiel or Megillat Esther?"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Australia / New Zealand
- South Africa
- Great Britain
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Often, people dress up in costumes and have parties.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.