n. "Eve of." (Glinert) Evening, or the day before a Jewish holiday.
"What are you doing erev Rosh Hashanah?"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Sometimes jokingly used for evening before a non-Jewish holiday ("I'm flying out Erev Thanksgiving")
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.