- Litvish; Lithuanian; associated with the rationalistic Lithuanian tradition; associated with non-Hasidic Black Hat communities
- the mix of English, Yiddish, and Hebrew in which people in these communities speak
- "He comes from a yeshivish family."
Languages of Origin
- ישיבֿה yeshive + יש- -ish adjective ending ("yeshivish" is itself not a Yiddish word)
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.