n. "Committee or council" (Steinmetz), group convened for a particular purpose, including rabbinical council, kashrut supervisory council, youth group/synagogue board of directors, study group, etc.
"This restaurant is under the kosher supervision of the Queens va'ad."
"Va'ad sport planned great activities."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
ועד va'ad 'committee'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Camp: Jews who attend or work at a Jewish overnight summer camp
- Organizations: People involved in a professional or volunteer capacity with Jewish nonprofit organizations
- North America
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.