n. "Committee or council" (Steinmetz), group convened for a particular purpose, including rabbinical council, kashrut supervisory council, youth group/synagogue board of directors, study group, etc.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
ועד va'ad 'committee'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Camp: Jews who attend or work at a Jewish overnight summer camp
- Organizations: People involved in a professional or volunteer capacity with Jewish nonprofit organizations
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.