- prayer shawl
- "I forgot to bring my tallis to services yesterday."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
- Plural among Sephardi/Israeli Hebrew speakers is 'tallitót' (טליתות), while among Ashkenazi Hebrew/Yiddish speakers it is 'taléysim' (טליתים)
Who Uses This
tallit, talis, talit
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.