n. Eastern European Holocaust (of World War II).
"My grandmother is a survivor of the Shoah."
Languages of Origin
- Modern Hebrew
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- Organizations: People involved in a professional or volunteer capacity with Jewish nonprofit organizations
- North America
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Who Uses This
Used by many Jews, especially those affiliated with Israel-oriented organizations that encourage the use of Hebrew
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.