n. "A strong, dry liquor." (JPS)
"Where's the schnapps? That vodka will do!" - a Chabad rabbi
Languages of Origin
שנאַפּס shnaps 'spirits, liquor, brandy'
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.