n. Cured, smoked salmon.
"The Lowell Sun in Massachusetts, for example, carried an article in 1948 about Grossinger’s in the Catskills, reporting that, 'The bagel-and-lox crowd was in stitches.'" (Source, Marx 2017, “Eating Up: The Origins of Bagels and Lox.”)
Languages of Origin
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.