n. "A leavened, firm, doughnut shaped roll" (JPS).
Languages of Origin
בײגל beygl, related to Yiddish root בײג beyg 'bend, curve'
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Plural "bagels," although the original Yiddish plural is beygl (same as singular)
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.