- "Special prayers and songs included as part of Friday night services to welcome in Shabbat."
- "Are you going to Kabbalat Shabbat this Friday night?"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- קבלת שבת 'lit. receiving of the Sabbath; opening Friday evening service of the Sabbath'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Who Uses This
- While technically "kabbalat Shabbat" refers to the first portion of the Friday night service, the common usage refers to the entire Shabbat service
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.