madreyga, madreiga, madregah, madreigah, madreygah, madrege, madreyge, madreige, madregeh, madreygeh, madreigeh, madrego, madreigo
- level, especially spiritual level
- "You're shomer, so you're on a different madreige of frumkeit."
- "It was a spiritual ascension, a completely different madrega (mystical level) of holiness" (https://arza.org/to-a-land-that-i-will-show-you/)
- "There are various madreigos of chillul Shabbos legabei a sick person" (Weiser 54)
- "The Rov is on a higher madrega than people like us."
Languages of Origin
Textual Hebrew, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew
מדרגה Heb. madrega, Yid. madreyge
Who Uses This
Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
North America, Australia / New Zealand
Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.