Aschkenormative, Ashckenormative, Aschckenormative
- Assuming that all Jews are Ashkenazi, not considering Jews with other backgrounds.
- I like that synagogue, but the liturgy is way too Ashkenormative. Are there no Sephardic synagogues in this neighborhood?
- "Now you can dismiss your Litvak zeidie’s ignorant arrogance with a high-falutin’ put-down: Oh, he’s being Ashkenormative again." (https://jewishstandard.timesofisrael.com/stop-being-so-ashkenormative/)
- "Another day, another Buzzfeed Jewish-centric video. And much like their other chosen productions, it’s incredibly Ashkenormative." (https://forward.com/schmooze/217270/enough-with-the-ashkenormativity-buzzfeed/)
- "art, music, food, and fashion derived from Mizrahi and Sephardic tradition — often overshadowed by “Ashkenormative” tendencies in New York and throughout the United States." (https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-orthodox-mastermind-behind-jewish-cool/)
Languages of Origin
Textual Hebrew, English
A portmanteau of the Hebrew אשכנזי ashkenazi 'of Ashkenaz' (meaning, of Eastern European descent) and the English word normative
Who Uses This
Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
Younger: Jews in their 30s or younger
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.