- an expression of joyous congratulation used by Sephardi Jews equivalent to "Mazal tov!"
- I learned you are getting married: Mabrouk! Mabrouk! on your new apartment...
- "Mabrouk to all of our Mechinah students who received their first Siddurim this week." (https://www.barkaiyeshivah.org/UploadFiles/415b0c7a-7.pdf)
Languages of Origin
- Arabic مبروك mabru:k 'congratulations'
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- Sephardim: Jews with Sephardi or Mizrahi heritage
- North America
Who Uses This
- Very commonly used by North African Jews, who often spoke French as well as Arabic and Hebrew. The pronunciation of "ou" sounds like English "oo."
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.