n. "Good conduct; normal, polite behavior in a social setting." (JPS). Manners, respect.
adj. Participating in modern society.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
Heb דרך ארץ dérekh érets 'lit. way of the land; respect', Yiddish דרך־ארץ derkhérets 'respect'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.