adj. Something worthless.
"Have you heard from Joe recently?" "No, I haven't heard bubkis."
"He thinks he's so great, but he's bupkis."
Languages of Origin
Yiddish באָבקעס bobkes - nonsense!; turds, goat/sheep droppings
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
bopkes, bobkes, bupkes, bupkis, bubkes
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.