n. "A young boy...equivalent of the American expression 'buddy'" (JPS)
"Sammy, our boychick, such a good litle boy!"
Languages of Origin
English boy, Yiddish diminutive ending טשיק- -tshik
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
Also commonly used in its diminutive form: boychekal, boychickel, boychickl, boychikl
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.