n. "A scandal spreader, a rumormongerer." (Rosten). Usually applied to women.
"Those three yentas keep trying to set me up with their grandsons." -Urban Dictionary
Languages of Origin
יענטע yente 'vulgar/sentimental woman' (formerly a common woman's name in Yiddish, of Romance origin)
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Ethnic: Jews whose Jewish identity is primarily ethnic
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
This may derive from the Yenta character created by Sholom Aleichem.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.