interj. Congratulations; good job.
interj. (Orthodox) Thank you.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
TH יישר כוחך yishar kohekha, lit. 'may your strength persist' > Y יישר־כּוח (ya)sh(er)-kóyekh, 'good job'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
yashar koach, yasher koyekh, shkoyekh, yishar koach, shkoyach, shkoyakh
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.