- The Book of Genesis [lit. "in the beginning"]
- "My brother is learning Bereshit in his chumash class."
- "During our last week of dress rehearsals, the director made us start the play over again from Bereishis every time we had a major flub."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Can also be used informally to mean "[from] the beginning" in general, not only in reading the Pentateuch.
Who Uses This
B'reshit, B'reyshis, Bereishis, Bereishit, Breishit, B'reishit, Bereshit, Breshit, Breishis, B'reishis, Bereshis, Breshis, B'reshis
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.