n., adj. Food prohibited by the Jewish dietary laws.
"Of course the cheeseburger looks good, but it's, like, double treyf!"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.