- environment, surroundings
- group or get-together
- "The svive at our Hillel was always very welcoming." "By developing and sponsoring neighborhood-based Yiddish reading and conversation groups (svives) for all levels throughout the city, Yiddishkayt Los Angeles promotes an environment in which individuals are encouraged to speak Yiddish, and further extends our overall strategy of engaging people in Yiddish, step by step." On Yiddishkaytla.org, under their Programs section (Programen)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Heb סביבה sevivá, Yiddish סבֿיבֿה svíve 'surroundings; environment; neighborhood, locale'
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Who Uses This
sevivah, s'vivah, svivah, sviva
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.