- A lesson, lecture, or discourse on biblical or rabbinic texts or other Jewish concepts
- "A measure, size, or rate" (JPS)
- "Do you know what the rabbi's shiur is on?"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
- Can be pronounced SHI-er or shi-OOR. Plural is shiurim.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.