- the seven blessings said after a jewish wedding and at a festive meal once a day for a week afterwards. the term can refer to the one week period after the wedding, the festive meal, or the blessings themselves.
- "We're flying out east for Adam & Kate's sheva brachos next weekend."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- שבע ברכות 'lit. seven blessings'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Who Uses This
sheva brachos / brochos
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.