|beit knesset||(beyt KNEH-sit)|
|beit knesset||(beyt KNEH-set)|
|beit knesset||(bet keh-NEH-set)|
n. Jewish place of worship; "synagogue" (JPS).
"I have to go to the beit knesset to daven early tomorrow before class."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Modern Hebrew
בית כנסת 'house of gathering'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Camp: Jews who attend or work at a Jewish overnight summer camp
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
bet kneset, bet knesset, beis knesses, bait knesset, beit k'neset
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.