|beit knesset||(beyt KNEH-sit)||listen|
|beit knesset||(beyt KNEH-set)||listen|
|beit knesset||(bet keh-NEH-set)||listen|
n. Jewish place of worship; "synagogue" (JPS).
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Modern Hebrew
בית כנסת 'house of gathering'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Camp: Jews who attend or work at a Jewish overnight summer camp
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
bet kneset, bet knesset, beis knesses, bait knesset, beit k'neset
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.