n. Idiot; contemptible person. "Clumsy, bungling person." (Steinmetz)
"He missed the bus--twice! What a shlemiel!"
Languages of Origin
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
shlemiel, shlimiel, shlemeil, schlemiel, schlemeel
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.