v. To snack or eat; a snack.
"While waiting for the class to start, Bill noshed on some chips."
Languages of Origin
נאַשן nashn 'nibble (on); eat (sweets)' (verbal stem is נאַש nash)
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Usually refers to excessive or unhealthy eating
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.