adj. Absurd, ridiculous, foolish.
adj. Mixed-up, muddled.
"Try to make a cockamamy idea work." (source)
“Did you ever hear such a cockamamy story?” (NJY)
“Of all the cockamamy excuses I ever heard.” (NJY)
Languages of Origin
From Cockamamie (a marketing term for a child's rub-on tattoo), a deliberate mispronunciation of the French decalcomania. Often falsely attributed to Yiddish.
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.