- to extend, talk/write at length
- "The rabbi was maarich the sermon, to the consternation of the congregation."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Heb מאריך maaríkh 'prolong, extend' (infinitive להאריך lehaaríkh), Yiddish מאריך זײַן máyrekh zayn 'to talk/write at length' (a periphrastic verb with invariant Hebrew element)
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
- Always used as a periphrastic verb (with the verb "to be")
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.