n. Robber, swindler.
"Don't use that real estate agent anymore, he's such a gazlan!"
“Who would have believed that he would turn into such a gazlen?” (NJY)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
TH גזלן 'robber'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.