v. Feel or express pride, "to be extraordinarily pleased." (JPS)
"I hear your daughter will be singing with the SF Opera! So you're kvelling, of course."
Languages of Origin
קװעלן kveln 'to beam (at), be delighted (in)' (verbal stem is קװעל kvel)
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.