"Speaking gossip is an aveirah."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
Heb עבירה averá, Yiddish עבֿירה avéyre
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
aveirah, aveyra, avera
a sin of lust or uncontrollable emotion, something one would not ordinarily do, committed against one's better judgment. It is a sin done knowingly, not in brazen defiance of G-d's will, but rather because a "spirit of foolishness" came over the sinner.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.