n. "Stuffed derma: a sausagelike comestible of meat, flour, and spices stuffed into intestine casing and baked." (Rosten)
"Dovid makes cholent with kishkas!"
Languages of Origin
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Plural kishkas / kishkes.
See also kishkas.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.