n. "Small, round headcovering." (JPS)
"Don't forget your kippah--we might stop at shul on the way home."
Languages of Origin
- Modern Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
kipah, kippa, kipa
Plural kippot / kipot or kippahs
See also yarmulke.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.