- the foundational text of Chabad Lubavitch written by the founder of Chabad, Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi
- "In camp, we had a competition to see who could memorize the most Tanya by heart."
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- תניא tanya 'it is stated [in a baraita]' (the first word of the text)
- Chabad: Jews affiliated with the Chabad Lubavitch movement
- Australia / New Zealand
- South Africa
- Great Britain
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
- First published in 1797. "Considered to be a classic work of Jewish mysticism" (Eisenberg & Scolnic). Also known as the Likutei Amarim.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.