- eulogy, funeral oration
- "Rabbi Mordechai Ginsbury, of Hendon United Synagogue, delivered the hesped prepared by Rabbi Mirvis for Sunday's levaya." (https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/chief-rabbi-mirvis-misses-rabbi-lord-sacks-funeral-after-nhs-app-instructs-him-to-self-isolate-1.508398)
- "Apprecitaing Our Gedolim - A Hesped on Rav Nissan Karelitz ZT"L" (https://www.kzmnmb.org/audio_library.php?media_id=343270)
- "Rabbi Dr. Jacob J. Schacter of Yeshiva University and The Jewish Center shares divrei hesped for his rabbinic predecessor and role model, Rabbi Dr. Norman Lamm zz"l." (https://thelehrhaus.com/tag/hesped/)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- הספד hesped 'eulogy'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- North America
- Great Britain
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.