n. A doubt or doubtful case.
n. "Unresolved question: Uncertainty" (Weiser)
n. "Doubt in the integrity of: Suspicion." (Weiser)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
ספק safek 'doubt'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
sofek, safeik, sofeik, safeyk, sofeyk, safayk, sofayk
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.