matsliach, matzliech, matsliech, matzliakh, matsliakh, matzliekh, matsliekh, matzliah, matsliah, matzlieh, matslieh
- "To thrive: Prosper" (Weiser)
- "Accomplishing a mission or an attempt: Successful" (Weiser)
- "Kol Hakavod. You should be matzliach in all you do."
- "As soon as he began to be matzliach in his business, the yeshiva sent someone to him to collect." (Weiser)
- "They were matzliach in collecting enough money to start the new building." (Weiser)
Languages of Origin
Textual Hebrew, Yiddish
Hebrew מצליח matsliach 'succeed', English usage with verb "be" calqued from Yiddish periphrastic verb מצליח־זײַן matsliekh-zayn '(to) be successful'
Who Uses This
Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.