n. "Honey cake, traditionally served on Rosh Hashanah... made with honey, eggs, cinnamon, and, often, coffee" (JPS).
"My Savta makes a delicious lekech."
Languages of Origin
לעקעך lekekh 'honey cake'
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- Great Britain
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
lekekh, lekach, lekakh
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.