interj. An interjection of alarm.
"Gevald! Why did you put that slimy thing in my sleeping bag?!"
Languages of Origin
גװאַלד gvald 'violence, force; help!'
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
gevalt, oy gevald, oy gevalt
See also oy.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.