- an interjection of alarm
- "Gevald! Why did you put that slimy thing in my sleeping bag?!"
Languages of Origin
- גװאַלד gvald 'violence, force; help!'
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
gevalt, oy gevald, oy gevalt
- See also: oy
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.