hutz la'aretz, khutz la'aretz, chuts la'arets, huts la'arets, khuts la'arets, chutz lo'oretz, hutz lo'oretz, khutz lo'oretz, chuts lo'orets, huts lo'orets, khuts lo'orets, chutz laaretz, hutz laaretz, khutz laaretz, chuts laarets, huts laarets, khuts laarets
- Outside of Israel; the disapora, lit. "outside the land."
- We observe two days of yontif in chutz la'aretz.
- After the army [IDF], he's going to be chutz la'aretz for a while.
- Because of the calendar, Israel is a week ahead in the Parshiyos [Torah portions] than chutz la'aretz.
- She did her Master's in Israel and her PhD chutz la'aretz. (Glinert)
Languages of Origin
Hebrew חוץ לארץ
Who Uses This
Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
North America, Great Britain, South Africa, Australia / New Zealand
The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.