"OK guys, sheket! I want you all back at the bus in forty-five minutes, got it?" (Glinert)
Languages of Origin
- Modern Hebrew
Hebrew שקט sheket, quiet.
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Camp: Jews who attend or work at a Jewish overnight summer camp
- Israel: Diaspora Jews who feel connected to Israel and have spent time there
- Organizations: People involved in a professional or volunteer capacity with Jewish nonprofit organizations
- Australia / New Zealand
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Who Uses This
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.