adj. Overly emotional, choked up; speechless; unable to express one's feelings/emotions.
adj. Anxious, worried; stuffed up.
"I'm a little verklempt. Give me a second."
Languages of Origin
פֿאַרקלעמט farklemt 'depressed'
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- Ashkenazim: Jews with Ashkenazi heritage
- North America
- South Africa
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
verklemmt, varklemt, ferklemt, farklemt, verklemt, varklempt, ferklempt, farklempt
Popularized by Mike Myers in Saturday Night Live's Coffee Talk with Linda Richman
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.