interj. Agreed. "The word used at the end of prayer to signify affirmation." (Rosten)
"I hope your son does well in school." "Amein!"Listen to recordings of this sentence: ( Recording 1)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
omein, omain, omen, amein
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.