interj. Agreed. "The word used at the end of prayer to signify affirmation." (Rosten)
"I hope your son does well in school." "Amein!"
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
omein, omain, omen, amein
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.