- To gobble up food; to gorge oneself. "To eat quickly or noisily, like an animal" (JPS)
- "Their Superbowl catering package is called 'Fress Like A Fullback'."
Languages of Origin
- פֿרעסן fresn 'to eat voraciously' (verbal stem is פֿרעס fres)
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.